Make a probiotic drink that is very simple and fun. You can play with different sorts of ingredients such as dried fruits, ginger or agrum and pick your own favorite flavor.
For the basic recipe, you need tibicos crystals, filtered water, and brown sugar.
- clean 2dl jar with a broad opening
- plastic sieve
- plastic or wooden kitchen spoon
All metal things should be avoided because kefir grains don’t react well with metal. Use plastic or wooden tools.
- 6 spoons of tibicos crystal
- 6 spoons of brown sugar
- 6 pieces of dried grapes or any other dried fruit by your choice
- 1 lemon or orange, cut in quarters
- Put water in the clean jar, kefir grains and dried fruits by your choice.
- Mix it and cover it with the plate. Don’t hold it in direct sun but on room temperature in the kitchen.
- Fermentation lasts 24, 48 or 72 hours.
- Longer it ferments, kefir becomes stronger – with a stronger taste and more carbonated. 24-hours kefir is a laxative and 48-hours stabilizes bowel functions.
- When time wanted for fermentation passes, filter the fluid through the sieve, remove fruits, and grains wash thoroughly under the strong flow of water.
- The liquid you filtered is water kefir and you can hold it in your fridge up to 5 days.
- With grains that remained, you can start the process again.
- Crystals will get bigger and bigger with every cycle. The more sugar the bigger volume of grains.